The hair coloring shampoos are a practical solution when you want to cover your gray hair or revive its color by creating a tone-on-tone effect.
This product has the advantage of being easy to apply at home, and of giving an external coloring to the hair.
It does not penetrate deeply like a classic tincture. The result is more subtle because the rate of hydrogen peroxide contained in the product is lower and therefore less invasive.
After ten washes, the color fades completely. We can therefore use this product as a one-off treatment or before doing a real dye, to test a new color.
How to Use A Hair Coloring Shampoo
Unless otherwise specified directly on the product, coloring shampoos are generally easy to use. Here are some tips on how to do it.
- Read the instructions carefully and do an allergy test on your skin. For example, you can apply a little product behind your ear, as it is already your scalp.
- Apply the shampoo all over the hair, from roots to ends. You can also apply it locally, for example on the roots only, using a brush.
- Depending on the type of product, the exposure time is 5 to 30 minutes. On some hair, it may take a few extra minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and take care not to leave any residue that could cause inconvenience.
- Some products are applied to damp hair, and others to dry hair.
Which Hair Coloring Shampoo To Use
There are many commercial color depositing shampoos. You will need to choose a product that is not aggressive to the scalp and which guarantees a satisfactory result.
Some practical advice for choosing your color depositing shampoo
- First of all, check that the shampoo is not causing you an allergy: you can try it on a small area, such as the crease in the elbow, and see if there is a reaction. Taking this test is always a good idea if you want to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Choose a color that is close to your natural color: the more similar the shade, the more natural the effect will be.
- If you want to lighten your hair, this kind of shampoo won’t work, unless you just want a slightly lighter shade or just a highlight. The shampoo will work better if the shade you choose is dark and the hair is light. For example, coloring with brown highlights on a dark blonde will tend to add pigmentation and have better results.
- 14 Best Neutral pH Shampoos To Buy Online
- 15 Best Mousses For Curly Hair To Use
- 13 Best Ammonia Free Hair Color To Protect Your Hair
- 15 Best Curly Hair Shampoo To Use
The 19 Best Hair Coloring Shampoos To Refresh Your Hair Color
1. Celeb Luxury Gem Lites Color Depositing Shampoo
2. Aveda Black Malva Shampoo
3. Punky Mochanificent Color Depositing Shampoo & Conditioner with Shea Butter
4. Joico Color Infuse Red Shampoo – Hair Coloring Shampoo
5. Drybar Blonde Ale Brightening Shampoo
6. Dphue Cool Brunette Shampoo
7. Pure Blends Hydrating Color Depositing Shampoo – Cocoa
8. Redken Color Extend Blondage Color-Depositing Shampoo
9. Herbal Dark Brown Hair shampoo
10. Celeb Colorwash Luxury Viral Color Depositing Shampoo
11. Oribe Silverati Hair Coloring Shampoo
12. Pravana The Perfect Brunette Toning Shampoo
13. N Rage 3-in-1 Color Depositing Shampoo + Conditioner – N-Digo Blue
14. John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Color Deepening Shampoo
15. Punky Color 3-In-1 Color Depositing Shampoo & Conditioner
16. Herbal Natural black Hair Coloring Shampoo
17. TouchBack Instant Temporary Color Depositing Shampoo & Conditioner
18. MATRIX Total Results So Silver Color Depositing Purple Shampoo
19. Deity Shampoo Color Change Kit – Dark Brown
How To Choose The Right Color Of Hair Coloring Shampoo
You should not choose at random. Let’s see together how to get around the question.
With your hair color, you will be able to determine the color to use:
- If you are blonde or have a balayage, go for purple pigmentation.
- If you have red hair, regardless of your shade, look for a shampoo specific to your color. Red is a particular color, it is better to ask your hairdresser for advice on which color to choose.
- If you are brown or chestnut, the best color is blue.
- Today there are shampoos also suitable for trendy colorings, such as purple, pink, or blue.
Useful Facts To Know About Coloring Shampoos
- As we said earlier, these products are not tinctures and only last for a few shampoos. Over time, the color loses intensity.
- Hair coloring shampoo, unlike dye, does not drastically change the color of the hair but creates a tone-on-tone effect. If you practice a sport like swimming, where the hair is often in contact with water, this is not an ideal solution, as the result will be even more fleeting.
- On the other hand, it is a perfect product for men who want to hide their first gray hair: it is simple, immediate, easy to do at home, in short, it is a very popular product.
- You can easily get this type of product online, in pharmacies or supermarkets. Just pay attention to the color to understand what the final effect will be.
- If you are pregnant, avoid these products, as do tinctures. The fewer chemicals you come into contact with, the less risk you will take to your health and that of your baby. Wait until you have finished breastfeeding to use these products.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a coloring shampoo and how does it affect the hair?
The coloring shampoo contains blue, red, or purple pigments, which serve to intensify the color of your hair, with a tone-on-tone effect.
You can use it whether you have dyed hair or not. To complete the action of the shampoo, we recommend that you use a balm.
The hair will thus gain dynamism and strength. The shampoo also prevents the color from tarnishing, due to stress, pollution, or chemicals that come into contact with the hair.
How do Hair Coloring Shampoos Work?
Do you remember the chromatic prism we see at school? Let’s take it out to understand how this product works. Each color has its opposite which can negate it.
Blue is opposed to orange, for example. If you have dark hair and apply hair coloring shampoo with blue pigmentation, you will negate the effect of orange, and therefore revive the dark undertones of your hair.
The same goes for blonde and purple pigmentation. Everything is easily explained with this color rule that we saw in elementary school and which is put into practice with our hair.
The 19 Best Color Depositing Shampoos
Last update on 2021-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API