The blue and purple shampoo is among the many beneficial types of shampoos on the market today.
Because our hair is subject to pollution, or simply because of its color changes, we can observe an unsightly yellowing, which settles gradually.
Natural hair, gray and white, but also colored (and bleached), can also have this problem.
Insofar as it is a process that will take place over time, we can completely fight against the appearance of the yellow color by using suitable shampoos, which we can use regularly.
The hair will not turn yellow but will have a nice gray, and offer beautiful reflections.
What Is A Blue or Purple Shampoo?
And no, blue shampoos and purple shampoos don’t color your hair blue if that’s what you thought!
These shampoos are used to fight against the yellowing of bleached, dyed blonde, highlighted, brushed, or aging hair.
These are shampoos enriched with amino acids or hydrating agents to restore shine to your hair. They are recommended for blonde, white, gray, or bleached and highlighted hair.
The operation of the blue shampoo is relatively simple. It acts in the same way as a complexion corrector in make-up (which is often green in color to reduce our redness of the skin).
The shampoo contains purple pigments (or blue depending on the shampoo).
It turns out that purple is the color diametrically opposite to yellow. Thus the violet pigments will reduce the yellow and ensure the anti-yellowing effect.
What Is the Blue/Purple Shampoo Used For?
It is used to protect and moisturize your blond hair (or white, light gray, or colored) which can be weakened by the sun, dyes, and aggressive shampoos.
It also serves to revive the hair color so that your color (natural or not) remains very bright!
This prevents your hair from taking on a yellowish shade that is not very glamorous.
It obviously serves to restore your hair vitality while erasing the yellowing reflections that may have appeared.
What is the Difference Between Blue And Purple Shampoo?
It’s all a question of hair color! The purple shampoo will be perfect for blonde hues and blue for white and gray hair (less yellow than blonde hair).
The more the product will have a strong (dark) shade, the more its corrective effect will be marked. To put it simply: we choose the color of the shampoo according to our hair color.
To preserve platinum blonde, white, or light gray hair choose the purple shampoo! It will reduce yellow reflections to give you the desired color.
You must, therefore, take into consideration the color wheel and choose the color of shampoo diametrically opposite to your hair color.
Light gray and white hair can adapt to blue or purple shampoo depending on their yellowing reflections (depending on the intensity of the yellowing effect).
There are now new formulas tested by major brands for which the shampoo is not really blue but retains the same effects. These are “silver” shampoos for gray or white hair.
The 18 Best Blue Purple Shampoos For Brunettes & Blondes
1. amika Bust Your Brass Cool Blonde Shampoo
2. Joico Color Balance Blue Shampoo
3. SACHAJUAN Silver Shampoo
4. MATRIX Total Results Brass Off Color Depositing Blue Shampoo
5. Kristin Ess “The One” Purple Shampoo and Conditioner Set
6. Moroccanoil Blonde Perfecting Purple Shampoo
7. BIOLAGE ColorLast Purple Shampoo Neutralizes Brassy & Yellow Tones
8. Redken Color Extend Blondage Color Depositing Shampoo
9. Paul Mitchell Platinum Blonde Shampoo
10. Drybar Blonde Ale Brightening Shampoo
11. Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel Wash
12. dpHUE Cool Blonde Purple Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair – Blonde Toner
13. Award-Winning, Purple Toning Blonde Shampoo
14. Fanola No Yellow and No Orange Shampoo
15. L’Oreal Paris EverPure Brass Toning Shampoo and Conditioner
16. Blonde Shampoo Instantly Eliminate Brassiness & Yellows
17. Luseta Shampoo and Conditioner Set for Blonde, Gray – Color Treated Hair
18. Catwalk Tigi Fashionista Blondes and Highlights Shampoo & Conditioner Set
Why Does Blonde Hair Turn Yellow?
Our hair, blonde, white, or gray will naturally turn yellow because of the environment in which we operate: the sun, pollution, tobacco, etc.
For colored hair, yellowing may occur if the exposure time of the color is not enough.
Likewise, if you have used a product that is not quite suitable for your hair color, you may see yellow reflections appear.
Please note, studies have shown that diet plays an essential role in the coloring of the scalp.
How To Use A Blue or Purple Shampoo On Yellow/Brassy Hair
Bleaching tends to dry out hair … so the purple shampoo should not be used every time you wish to shampoo but as a specific supplement to lighten colored strands.
It is necessary to alternate the blue shampoo with a soft nourishing shampoo for silky and soft results.
So the shampoo is to be used 1 to 2 times a week depending on the frequency of hair washes.
All the silver ranges offered by the big brands, help to fight effectively against yellow reflections on both the lengths and the roots.
In general, you can apply a blue shampoo to your wet hair as a classic shampoo.
- Apply it evenly, in the same quantity everywhere just to get the same results on your full hair
- Then lather the shampoo by massaging your scalp
- Let it sit for 3 to 4 minutes then rinse
- Be careful! It is not a classic shampoo that can be used at the same frequency! Not at all!
- It must be used 1 (2 max) times per week alternating with a classic shampoo preferably without sulfates so as not to damage your hair.
- You can however also apply this blue (or purple) shampoo on dry hair. But it is not necessarily very recommended because the hair dries much too quickly!
- Apply your shampoo evenly to your wet hair.
- Rinse them immediately if they get in the eyes!
- Leave on for 3 minutes maximum
- Rinse thoroughly
- Repeat the process if necessary
- Do not use it on dark hair. Brown, black or red, these blue shampoo or purple shampoo is reserved for blond, white, or light gray hair.
- Do not use if you are allergic to any component of the shampoo.
- Do not use it if you have a head wound or any other dermatological problem.
- If in doubt, ask your doctor or dermatologist for advice.
How is this shampoo different from the classic shampoos?
We only use this blue shampoo and purple shampoo when we have blond hair, bleached or gray.
These shampoos are not intended to wash the hair of the whole family, nor to maintain brown or red hair, or colored in green for example.
These are products that can be purchased at the hairdresser, or in the store, or even in supermarkets, but their quality is superior to a basic shampoo.
It is enriched with many nutritive and vitamin agents and must be alternated with a classic shampoo.
It also has a strong washing power, so that the pigments can act, so using it too often would be harmful.
On the other hand, certain shampoos work with care to pose after, a pleasant solution not to get brittle hair.
When Should You Use This Type of Shampoo?
You can use this product to restore shine to your hair, when their color begins to turn yellow, lose its shine, to tarnish.
It is advisable to use it at the end of the day as this will allow the product to rest well during the night.
How to find And recognize a blue Or purple shampoo?
The shampoo is labeled appropriately. Some bear the words “color-enhancing shampoo”, “brightening” or ” fattening shampoo”.
You can find them everywhere in supermarkets, at your hairdresser, in specialized stores, and online.
How To Choose the Best Shampoo For Yellow/Brassy Hair?
There are many brands that market this kind of shampoo but not all are created equal. Here are some things to check before purchasing a blue shampoo:
1. Check the brand
The brand can be important, it is a guarantee of quality for most products.
The composition is important because the shampoo contains more or less harmful or irritating ingredients for our scalp.
Remember to avoid sulfate compounds (SLS, SLES), failing to be organic, some products can still be healthier than others!
3. Hair color
This type of shampoo is reserved for light hair: blonde, white, or light gray. It is not suitable for brown, black, or red hair for example.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Blue/Purple Shampoo
- Anti-yellowing, allows white, gray, or blonde hair to keep its color and vitality without yellowing.
- Hydrates hair
- Cannot be used with every shampoo
- Its price
- The shampoo is only for blond, white, or light gray hair, not for the whole family
Before & After Blue Purple Shampoo – Say Goodbye to Yellow/Brassy Hair
Last update on 2021-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API